Cardboard is a generic non-specific term for a heavy duty paper based product, which are primarily used for packaging goods and materials. It is a bulky, highly recyclable waste and keeping this material out of the waste stream will mean saving landfill space in areas where disposed materials are land filled and reducing pollution through avoided incineration where waste is incinerated.
Businesses can actually make a profit on the recycling of this material and some very clever designers have found innovative methods to use it, creating from portable toilets to entire rooms.
- This lightweight, portable cardboard table aims to assist on-the-go creative types like designers and students. Made by Sruli Recht from cardboard pieces, this lightweight, sturdy design offers creative people an ergonomic place on which to cut, fold, draft or design. Adding even more appeal to this smart and useful design, the table is biodegradable and can easily be folded up to pack into a portable carrier.
- Finnish designers Esa Ruskeepää, Martti Kalliala and Martin Lukasczyk, took 720 sheets of 7mm corrugated cardboard, cut each one of them as per the detailed plans, and without any fixings or glue, stacked them together to create a really cool looking sound room for listening to music. The cardboard provides all the insulation required for this room. The design was originally done for a design contest by the University of Art and Design Helsinki and has won three other awards including one from Architectural Review.
- The Finish Your Self Junior chair by Dutch product designer, David Graas is a DIY project that children will enjoy making with some adult help. The corrugated cardboard chair is simply built up with some basic slitted shapes that are simply slotted together. It doesn’t look that comfortable but children probably won’t care because it is so much fun to sit on a chair you made yourself. A small cushion might be a good idea.
- A light-weight portable toilet is for those moments when you get the urge for number two on the road, but don’t have access to a proper toilet. The ShitBox pops up from a convenient 14 inch flat pack to a rigid, reusable, comfortable toilets. Each box comes with ten degradable poo bags.
- Foldschool is a collection of free cardboard furniture for kids, handmade by you. The downloadable patterns can be printed out with any printer. Follow the instructions and assemble a stable piece of furniture.